Having a basic understanding of HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) terminology can be helpful when it comes to air conditioner repair. It allows homeowners to communicate effectively with technicians, understand the root causes of the issues, and make informed repair decisions. Here are some key terms involved in AC repair in Bedford, NH.
- BTU (British Thermal Unit): BTU is a measurement unit that represents an air conditioner’s cooling capacity. It indicates the amount of heat an AC can remove from space in one hour. Knowing the BTU rating of your AC helps determine its cooling efficiency.
- Compressor: The compressor is a vital component of an AC system. It pressurizes and circulates the refrigerant, allowing heat exchange to occur. A malfunctioning compressor can result in poor cooling performance or no cooling at all.
- Evaporator Coil: The evaporator coil absorbs heat from indoor air. As the refrigerant passes through the coil, it evaporates, cooling the air. An issue with the evaporator coil can cause reduced cooling capacity or inefficient cooling.
- Condenser Coil: The condenser coil is located in the outdoor unit of the AC system. It releases heat absorbed from the indoor air into the outdoor environment. Dirty or damaged condenser coils can hinder heat dissipation and affect cooling efficiency.
- Refrigerant: Refrigerant is the substance that absorbs and releases heat to facilitate cooling. Commonly used refrigerants include R-410A and R-22. Understanding the type and proper handling of refrigerant is essential for AC repair in Manchester, NH.
- Air Filter: The air filter traps dust, debris, and allergens, ensuring clean and healthy airflow. Clogged filters restrict airflow, reducing AC efficiency and potentially causing damage to the system.
- Thermostat: The thermostat controls the temperature settings of the AC. Understanding thermostat functions and settings helps troubleshoot temperature inconsistencies and programming energy-saving modes.